Pursuant to Education Code Section 72000, the Governing Board established that the Regular Meetings of the Board shall be normally the first Tuesday of each month, or at another mutually agreed upon day, at a time set by the Board at its annual organizational meeting in the Governing Board Room, Hartnell College, 411 Central Avenue, Salinas. Regular meetings of the Board may be held at other locations in the District from time to time as determined and noticed by the Board.
Additionally, adjourned meetings, special meetings or study sessions may be held from time to time as called by the Board President or a majority of the Board, provided public notice and other conditions asset forth in the Education and Government Codes are met.
“Meetings,” as contemplated by this policy, whether regular, adjourned, special, closed, or study sessions, occur when a majority of the Governing Board members meet at the same time and place to hear, discuss, or deliberate upon any item within the jurisdiction of the Board.
As authorized by Government Code Section 54954, regular and special meetings may be held outside the boundaries of the District for these limited purposes:
1) To comply with state or federal law or court order or attend a judicial or administrative proceeding to which the District is a party;
2) To inspect real or personal property which cannot be conveniently brought within the boundaries of the District, provided that the topic of the meeting is limited to items directly related to the real or personal property;
3) To participate in meetings or discussions of multi-agency significance, provided the meeting or discussion is held within the boundaries of one of the participating local agencies and provided proper notice of the meeting and place is given;
4) To meet with elected or appointed federal or state officials solely to discuss a legislative or regulatory issue affecting the District;
5) To meet in closed session with District's legal counsel on pending litigation, when to do so would reduce legal fees or costs;
6) To attend a conference on nonadversarial collective bargaining techniques;
7) To interview members of the public residing in another district with reference to the Board's potential employment of the superintendent of the district; and
8) To interview a potential employee from another district.
Reference: Education Code 72000, 72129; Government Code 54954, 54955, 54956
(Formerly Governing Board Policy 1015; adopted 10-20-91)
Revised and Adopted: 10-1-85, 2-1-90, 11-3-92, 4-4-95, 4-6-98, 3-6-01; 6-03-08