Financial Aid FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Hartnell College’s Financial Aid Department is unable to disclose personal information about your file over the phone due to the Privacy Act (FERPA).  Students may request information about his/her file in person by showing a picture ID such as your Hartnell Student ID to the Financial Aid Department.  You may also check your status using PAWS for Students.

To be eligible for financial aid, you must have a high school diploma, a GED or its equivalent, complete 6 units of degree-applicable courses, or take and pass an Ability to Benefit Test.  To schedule an appointment to take the ATB test, please contact the Hartnell’s STAAR* Placement Office at (831) 759-6054 or stop by CAB-165 in the counseling hallway.

Hartnell’s Federal School Code is 001209

Hartnell is partnering with BankMobile Disbursements to disburse financial aid to you. You have a choice of how you want to receive your aid. After the Hartnell Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA information, you will be sent a refund selection kit. The card will be mailed to the permanent address you provided to Hartnell College.
When it comes to receiving financial aid refunds and other credit balances, you deserve choices! Hartnell College has partnered with BankMobile Disbursements to deliver any refund money we may have for you. You will select your refund preference using your personal code which will arrive in your Refund Selection Kit. This kit will be sent in a bright green envelope to your address on file with Hartnell College.
You will then be asked to visit the BankMobile web site and select the way you wish to receive your aid. You have two options:
Money is transferred to another account the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school. Typically, it takes 1 – 2 business days for the receiving bank to credit the money to your account.
If you open a BankMobile Vibe account (upon identity verification), money is deposited the same business day BankMobile receives funds from your school.

Please make sure to review the Disbursement Schedule posted under Financial Aid Dates and Deadlines. If your file is complete prior to the dates listed for Pell Grant Lists 1 or 2, you will receive 50% of your Pell Grant on the dates listed in the Disbursement Schedule. Your will receive your remaining Pell Grant with the 3rd Pell Grant List. 

If your file complete date is after those dates you will receive your Pell grant in a single check based on the Disbursement Schedule. 

Your financial aid eligibility will be based on your enrollment on census date (see important dates above). No other adjustments will be made to your aid unless you withdraw from all classes. If your financial aid is processed after census date it will be based on your enrollment at that time. 

You should never cash a financial aid check if you are not attending classes. Contact the Financial Aid Office immediately to discuss your situation. If you drop all your units or do not attend class you may owe money to the Department of Education and to Hartnell, and this could prevent you from getting any financial aid at other schools.

  • Be accepted for admission
  • Be enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate
  • Be in good academic standing
  • For most programs, demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Certify compliance with Selective Service Registration requirements
  • Not be in default on any loan or owe a refund on any grant made under any Title IV program
  • Have a social security number
  • Have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent

No, however, eligibility is determined from the units enrolled in each semester and your EFC (Expected Family Contribution).  In some cases, a student may be required to be enrolled in 12.0+ units to receive some grants.  We recommend you double check with a Financial Aid staff person regarding your eligibility.

We can offer you the Board Of Governor’s fee Waiver, if eligible, but not for federal aid. Most Federal and State financial aid is reserved for students who are seeking a college degree or certificate.

Any units attempted at any other institution must be evaluated toward your Hartnell College degree or certificate. The units that are transferred in must be considered for normal time frame calculations for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Yes. When filling out the FAFSA, you can place estimated income and mark it as estimated but you are required to correct the information as soon as you obtain your required information and prior to receiving an award. If you paid to get your taxes completed you can contact your tax preparer for a duplicate copy or you may contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

 Important Announcements 

There is a new 600% (6 FT Years) lifetime limit to Pell grant. Watch for notifications from the Department of Ed or check to see what percent you have reached. Plan ahead, so you can save 300% for when you transfer.

Beginning Summer Term 2012 Hartnell Community College will no longer participate in the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. Hartnell will continue to make a variety of federal, state, and private grants, scholarships, and work programs available to students.

Hartnell's student loan default rate has risen drastically in the last two years. This is the result of some Hartnell students not repaying their student loans. The Department of Education has determined that schools with high default rates may not be allowed to participate in other financial aid programs, like Pell Grant. In order to protect Hartnell's ability to provide other financial aid to students, Hartnell has made the decision to no longer offer Direct Student Loans.

Office Hours

Monday-Thursday - 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Fridays - 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
*Hours are subject to change and will be posted at the entrance.

Financial Aid Lab for FAFSA & CA Dream Act Application Assistance
Student Services Building B room 121

Hartnell College Federal School Code: 001209

PHONE: (831) 755-6806

FAX: (831) 759-6014



Who to contact

Phone: 831-755-6806
B - Student Services
Office: Financial Aid Department
Building: B - Student Services



Sergio Bindel Jr


David Robert Feustle