> Home > Financial_aid > Programs

Financial Aid Programs

The Financial Aid Office offers a variety of programs to assist students with meeting the costs of higher education. Some awards consist of two or three types of aid put together as a financial aid package. You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on the web to apply for any of these programs. When completing the FAFSA, use the Federal School Code identifier for Hartnell College which is 001209. If you are not sure which college you will be attending, list all colleges that you are considering.

Apply early for the best results. The FAFSA Application process begins January 1st of each year. To ensure fairness to ALL students, financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis with priority given to students who complete their application by March 2nd of each year. You must submit all required forms and be registered in classes before you financial aid package will be processed. HCC will notify you of any forms required after we have received your FAFSA information.
Need based financial aid programs are based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and your financial need. Your EFC is determined by a federal formula using the information you reported on your FAFSA. Your financial need is the cost of attending Hartnell minus your EFC. You can get as estimate these numbers by completing the Net Price Calculation.

Many types of Federal Aid are grants, which is free money that generally does not need to be repaid unless you fail to meet conditions of awards. (See Withdrawal from Classes - Return 2 Title IV agreement).

Federal Pell Grant
This grant provides federal money for students with financial need. The federal government uses the family information from your FAFSA to determine who is eligible and how much each student is eligible to receive.  For 2011-2012 awards will range from $607- $5500 per year

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
This federal program is designed to assist students with exceptional need by supplementing other financial aid sources. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units and have an Expected Family Contribution of 0 to qualify for SEOG. Award amounts will range from $100 to $200 per year for qualified students.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)
This program, based on financial need,  provides part-time employment at the College so that students can earn money while gaining work experience for employment after graduation. A FWS award is not a guarantee of employment. For further information see FWS on campus jobs.  Students cannot exceed 20 hours per week.

STATE OF CALIFORNIA - (State-Sponsored Grants for residents of California)

BOGW Fee Waiver
The Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW) waives the enrollment fees charged for an eligible student. It also reduces the cost of College parking permits, and the College's Student Services Activities Fee. Applications and information are available in the Financial Aid Office, as well as other Student Services offices. Students are encouraged to also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) because many are eligible for other types of aid.

Cal Grants
The State of California, through the Student Aid Commission, offers several grant programs for undergraduate students. These include Cal Grant A, B, and C. A student can receive only one type of Cal Grant. Cal Grant A is to be used at a four-year university.

Cal Grant B - Cal Grant B provides students a living allowance and tuition and fee assistance for low-income students. Awards for most first-year students are limited to an allowance for books and living expenses.

Cal Grant C - Cal Grant C awards assist with tuition and training costs at occupational or vocational programs. The award includes an amount for books, tools and equipment.

Further information including award amounts, award criteria and deadlines can be found at www.csac.ca.gov.

Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS)
This state-funded program provides aid to students who are both educationally and economically disadvantaged. Students must contact the EOPS Office to get additional forms needed to determine eligibility.