Foreign Transcript Evaluation

Evaluation services provide an advisory opinion about what an individual's foreign educational background represents in U.S. terms, for purposes such as employment, professional licensure and further education. Hartnell College does not endorse, recommend or approve any particular evaluation service, and will make the final determination about the transferability of specific courses. 

Students who have completed college or university level courses outside of the United States and are requesting credit at Hartnell College, must submit a Request for Transfer Credit Evaluation after the completion of 6.0 units at Hartnell. 

It is the responsibility of the student to provide all required documentation to the Admissions & Records Office.
1. Official foreign transcripts.
2. Official Transcript Evaluation. Transcript evaluations must be completed by a Credential Evaluation Service. Reports MUST include course-by-course reports with semester unit equivalencies and letter grades.
3. Detailed Course Descriptions may be required for you to provide for those courses you hope to transfer, or college catalog in English.

The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) is a membership organizing for credential evaluation services.

Please follow this link to the NACES home page for a list of  evaluation services.


Foreign Transcript Evaluation for Transfer

Students planning to transfer should follow the evaluation instructions above. Please keep in mind that the evaluation is advisory only. Your transfer university will do an evaluation when you apply for admission and determine which classes will be accepted. Also, please keep in mind the following information:
  • Foreign transcripts cannot be used towards IGETC General Education certification (other than waiving the foreign language requirement).
  • Foreign transcripts cannot be used towards California State General Education certification.
  • Foreign transcripts may be used to satisfy university specific requirements: however, this is done on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the transfer university. Some universities are not able to evaluate your records prior to receiving an application for admission.

Additional information
  • In general, English and United States history and government courses taken outside the United States cannot be used towards college credit.


Who to contact

Phone: (831) 755-6711 Fax: (831) 759-6014
B - Student Services
Office: B-121
Building: B - Student Services



Sergio Bindel Jr


David Robert Feustle