> Home > History

Hartnell College Campus - Past, Present and Future (click any year to see the slideshow)


   1834 - William Edward Petty Hartnell founded a post secondary academy in the Gabilan foothills of the Salinas Valley.
1929 - A new wing opened and SJC produced its first 5 graduates.

1935 - Salinas Junior College had thirteen departments, as well as a school newspaper

1936 - The college moved to its present location at 411 Central Avenue in Salinas.

1946 - The Agriculture and Mechanics program began.

1948 - Salinas Junior College was renamed Hartnell College.

1949 - The O. P. Silliman Library was dedicated.

1955 - The long awaited student union was completed and named the for John B. Lemos.
1968 - The Technology Building was finished past schedule.

1973 - The Pool and the current Athletics building were completed.

1974 - The Performing Arts Center was completed.
1987 - The Gleason Center was dedicated in King City.

1998 - A new Human Resources building opened it's doors!

2002 - The King City Education Center opened to serve the South County population.

   1920 - The Board of Trustees of the Salinas Union High School District founded Salinas Junior College, the school closed 2 years later.

1926 - The students and community pressured the Board of Trustees to dedicate resources to re-opening Salinas Junior College.
1939 - The Men's Gymnasium was added, part of a $28,000 addition of facilities and grounds improvements.

1940 - The class of 1940 gave the college with the 16-ton Black Granite Panther sculpted by Raymond Puccinelli, can you guess the Panther's name?
1959 - The New Library was completed.

1961 - The Men's dormitory (now Animal Health Technology) opened with Mrs. Maria Grinder as House Mother.

1963 - Merril Hall, the new Math and Science building and the Planetarium were completed.
1976 - The Visual Arts Center and the Classroom Administration Building were constructed.

1978 - The Child's Development Center was completed.

1982 - The New College Center was constructed.
2002 - Measure H passed allowing renovations and construction of a future Library!

2004 Ground Breaking Ceremony for the new Library & Parking Structure