Using a word processing program, create a file containing your name and then list your answers to the following questions. Run a spell check, then upload your completed assignment file to the Week Two e-College drop box.
- Suggest one or more appropriate search sites for each of the following searches. Give the name of the search engine you used and the title and the web address of the best match you discovered. Don't be afraid to use some of the recommended search techniques listed in the U.C. Berkeley Internet tutorial, http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Strategies.html
- Information on the nesting habits of bald eagles in Maine.
- History and function of the Blackberry handheld device.
- The definition of the word "informatics."
- Whether the e-mail you received about missing girl 13 year old Ashley Flores is true or a hoax..
- Compare search engines by performing the following searches (be sure to type in terms exactly as shown below) using Yahoo!, http://www.yahoo.com, Google, http://www.google.com, and Ask.com, http://ask.com, and write down the number of search results for each search using each engine. Notice that more search terms narrows the search and fewer results for each engine will be found.
- computer viruses
- computer viruses or worms
- Create and list the exact search queries you would use for the following searches. Use the Yahoo! search directory and perform the following searches to see what results your search queries return. List the title and web address of the best match for each search.:
- Fertilizers for grass
- Microbiology conferences in the United States
- Colleges offering a Computer Science Ph.D. program
- Current video games, but not Nintendo video games
Web Author: Jennifer Lagier Fellguth
Copyright ©2007 by Jennifer Lagier Fellguth- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Please report any broken links to firstname.lastname@example.org