> Home > Nursingandalliedhealth > FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do you keep a waiting list?

Hartnell College does not keep a waiting list. If an applicant is not accepted into the program, the applicant must re-apply for hte next selection period.

Do I need to complete my prerequisites before I apply?

Yes, all prerequisite courses must be completed prior to application. In progress transcripts will not be accepted. For further information about prerequisites, please review the Program Information Sheet.

When can I submit an application?

All Nursing and Allied Health applications are available and accepted only from mid December through sometime in February. The actual application deadline date is printed on the applications. Please follow the steps as outlined in the “Application Instructions” included in the application packet. (If you are an LVN or transfer student seeking Advanced Placement, please see the Nursing and Allied Health counselor to determine if you have completed all the prerequisites.831-755-6820)

Do you have a Spring entry period?

No. Nursing and Allied Health accepts students once a year for any program, which begins each Fall Semester.

Can prerequisite courses from other schools be used?

Yes, if the school is accredited and if the course is equivalent to our requirement. We advise you to check with a counselor to determine this. Bring transcripts to the counseling appointment. 831-755-6820

Can I bring my transcripts to you?

Official transcripts must be mailed or brought in a sealed envelope to the Nursing and Allied Health office and to Admissions and Records office as part of the application process.

Will someone in the Nursing and Allied Health office go over my transcripts with me to see if I am missing anything?

The Nursing and Allied Health department cannot evaluate individual transcripts. Please call and make an appointment to see the Nursing Counselor, through the main Counseling Department (831)755-6820 or attend a Nursing Group Counseling session (see schedule on website at http://old-www.hartnell.edu/nursingandalliedhealth/) Please bring a copy of your transcripts and any course descriptions.

How can I find out if the courses I am taking at another college are equivalent to the courses at Hartnell College?

A nursing counselor must evaluate course descriptions provided by the student for each prerequisite or general education course completed at another institution. Once reviewed, the nursing counselor completes and signs a “Course-to-Course Evaluation Form” that MUST be included with the application. Appointments with a nursing counselor, by calling the Hartnell College Counseling Office at (831) 755.6820 or bring a copy of your transcripts to a Nursing Group counseling session. (See Counseling Group Session schedule on website at http://old-www.hartnell.edu/nursingandalliedhealth/). It is best to check early to see if your courses are equivalent to Hartnell College courses. Counseling appointments should be made well ahead of time, as nursing counselors are busy at certain times of the year.

Does a student need to meet with a counselor before applying?

It is highly encouraged, but not required. Please call the counseling department at 831-755-6820 to make an appointment with LaVerne Cook.

Is there a counselor who specializes in assisting nursing students?

Yes, please call the main counseling office at 831-755-6820 for an appointment with LaVerne Cook, the designated Nursing and Allied Health counselor.

Where is the closest site to take the TEAS test?

The closest testing site for the TEAS test is Salinas Central Coast College located on Main Street. San Jose State University also offers the test. You can set up an account and register for the location and time of your choice at http://www.atitesting.com/ The test also may be given at Hartnell College a few weeks prior to the application admission deadline date, please check with the Nursing and Allied Health department at 831/770-6146 for date.

Can I work while I am in the program?

There is no restriction against working while enrolled in a Nursing and Allied Health program. However, it is not advised to work more than 16-20 hours a week as it can interfere with your success in the program. It is not advised to work on days in which classes or clinical experiences are assigned. You will not be permitted to leave early or arrive late to clinical or class.

Do you have a part-time or evening program?

All Nursing and Allied Health programs are full-time programs with theory courses, lab and clinical rotations generally during the day. (Some rotations may be in the evening hours).

Do you require nursing care experience?

To be admitted to the registered nursing program, Hartnell College does not ‘require’ nursing care experience; however, we do advise for either volunteer or paid direct-patientcare experience. This experience is invaluable in introducing the clinical setting and helping you better understand the nursing world of work.

Is there an Advanced Placement option in the Nursing Program?

Yes, for current LVN's and students transferring from other ADN programs there is an opportunity to enter the RN program as an advanced placement student. If you are interested in applying to the RN program as an LVN advanced placement student, please contact the main counseling office at 831-755-6820 for an appointment with LaVerne Cook to determine if you have completed all the prerequisite courses.

Do I need to complete any health forms, criminal background checks etc.?

A series of immunizations, a health screening, a drug screen, a live scan background check, and a current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification are required after conditional acceptance in the program. Questions regarding these requirements should be directed to the Dean of Nursing and Allied Health.

Felony Convictions and Nursing and Respiratory Care?

Registered Nursing:
Please be aware that conviction of a felony may prohibit you from being licensed as a registered nurse. Each case is reviewed and adjudicated by the Board of Registered Nursing. According to the California Business and Professions Code, Division 2, Chapter 6, Section 2761(f): "The Board of Registered Nursing may deny an application for a certificate or license for any conviction of a felony or of any offense substantially related to the qualifications, functions, and duties of a registered nurse, in which event the record of the conviction shall be conclusive evidence thereof." Convictions must be reported prior to licensure even if they have been adjudicated, dismissed or expunged or even if a court ordered diversion program has been completed under the Penal Code or under Article 5 of the Vehicle Code. http://www.rn.ca.gov/enforcement/dispaction.shtml

Vocational Nursing:
Applicants should be aware of the provisions of the California Vocational Nurse Practice Act which requires the Board of Vocational Nurse & Psychiatric Technicians to review the history of  previous convictions and in those cases where offenses bear a substantial relationship to the nursing profession, the Board may withhold the license. http://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/pdf/vnregs.pdf

Respiratory Care Practitioner:
The Respiratory Care Board (Board) has the authority to deny licensure based on convictions of crimes, acts of dishonesty or fraud, acts involving bodily injury unlicensed activity, violations of certain sections of the Health and Safety Code, convictions of alcohol/substance abuse, or any act that shall be considered a crime substantially related to the qualifications, functions, or duties of a respiratory care practitioner.

Types of evaluative criteria when considering the denial of licensure, a petition for reinstatement, or suspension or revocation of an RCP license:

(a) The nature and severity of the act(s) or offense(s).
(b) The total criminal record.
(c) The time that has elapsed since the commission of the act(s) or offense(s).
(d) Compliance with any terms of parole, probation, restitution, or any other sanctions lawfully imposed against such person.
(e) Evidence of any subsequent act(s) or crime(s) committed.
(f) Any other evidence of rehabilitation submitted that is acceptable to the board, including:
(g) Letters relating to the quality of practice signed under penalty of perjury from licensed health care providers responsible for the supervision of his/her work.

A student with any misdemeanor conviction should consult with the Nursing and Allied Dean before applying to, or registering for, any Department of Health Sciences program or course. The respective Boards consider the nature and severity of the offense, additional subsequent acts, recency of acts or crimes, compliance with sanctions, and evidence of rehabilitation.