> Home > Shared_governance > Committees > Financial > Minutes_view

Financial Information Subcommittee

Print View Financial Information Subcommittee Minutes
Hartnell College - CAB 112 - 411 Central Salinas, CA
January 19, 2012 at 3:00PM
I.Chair(s)

Al Munoz
Joanne Trevino

** APPROVED MINUTES **
II.Attendee(s)

Melissa Stave, Senate
Ann Wright, HCFA


Absent: Eric Price, CSEA
III.Guest(s)

None
IV.Supporter(s)

Laura Warren
V.Adjournment

5:01 p.m.

Agenda #1

Topic:Approval of Minutes from Prior Meeting
Presenter:Al Munoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Joanne Trevino motioned to approve draft minutes from the meeting of 12/15/2011. Motion seconded by Ann Wright. All in favor; minutes approved.
Action(s) required:
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #2

Topic:Approval of Agenda
Presenter:Al Munoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Motion to approve agenda for meeting of 1/20/2012. Motion seconded; all in favor; agenda approved.
Action(s) required:
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #3

Topic:Program Review - 2 year plan
Presenter:Al Munoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Al attended the initial meeting which was to discuss the deans' requirements relating to their two year plans (2010-11 and 2011-12) which includes staffing or equipment/supplies that are above and beyond the current dollars budgeted. To facilitate the process, Stephanie Low set up a spreadsheet and sent it to each dean asking them to add a tab for their area of responsibility which shows the breakdown of costs. Deans were asked to forward the information to Suzanne Flannigan who will compile the data. Suzanne will then meet with Al to review the requests in detail. Once that is accomplished, Al will bring the data to FIS for review and FIS will forward to RAC. The next meeting is likely to be the first week of February. Al assured the committee that things are moving forward and Suzanne's office will be scheduling the individual dean meetings shortly.
Action(s) required:Draft report.
Responsibilites:Al Munoz
Deadline(s):RAC meeting of 2/8/2012

Agenda #4

Topic:Measure H Funds to be used to fund Emergency Preparedness
Presenter:Al Munoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Al informed the committee that Measure H funds cannot be utilized for funding Emergency Preparedness. Additionally informed the committee that there are funds available to fund EP but usage will require Board approval.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #5

Topic:New Business: ACCCA Budget Workshop of 1/13/2012
Presenter:Al Munoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Al provided information relating to the summary of the Governor's budget and stressed that it is all dependent upon voters approving the sales and income tax increases for individuals earning $250,000 and greater. Should the tax increases not pass, the trigger is going to be a $218 million hit to community colleges. Total apportionment this year is about $13 million and if the taxes are not passed, we could see approximately a $1.3-$1.5 million cut in apportionment.

Al then explained another area which will impact the governor's budget that has already been incorporated into the budget and that area is the elimination of redevelopment agencies. Currently the college is due $500,000 from the redevelopment agencies and a demand for payment is being drafted by the Dolinka Group for delivery to the county treasurer's office. Additionally, due to the transition caused by the eliminated of RDAs, there will be seven oversight committees formed on which the college will require representation. Dolinka Group informed the college that the maximum number of committees on which a representative may serve is five so Dr. Helm will be appointing representation. Al stressed the importance of the college having a voice in this regard.

Discussion regarding apportionment and funding for the next fiscal year ensued.
Action(s) required:none
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #6

Topic:New Business: Shared Governance
Presenter:Al Munoz, Joanne Trevino
Summary of Agenda Item:Al reviewed the RAC handbook to see what the responsibilities of FIS are in order to make sure that the committee stays on track relating to those responsibilities.

The vacant Administration position needs to be filled; appointment will be made by the president.

Discussion followed with regard to the role FIS plays with regard to grants. It was agreed that FIS should be made aware of the grants the college pursues.
Action(s) required:None
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #7

Topic:New Reports: Draft Financial Statements for period ending 12/31/2011
Presenter:Al Munoz
Summary of Agenda Item:The committee received printouts of the draft Financial Statements for the period ending 12/31/2011 and, at this time, Al took the committee through the reports and responded to questions. He then stated that the college is in a good position currently. Discussion ensued with regard to the 50% law and Al informed the committee that in February there will be an evaluation meeting. Discussion then followed related to faculty hiring. Ann stressed that it is her belief that the college needs to hire more faculty. Conversation shifted back to the handouts Al provided and he continued to explain the details. Al then told the committee members that he would be pleased to answer any question that might arise and recommended that contact be made by email.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a