> Home > Shared_governance > Committees > Resources > Minutes_view

Resource and Allocation Committee

Print View Resource and Allocation Committee Minutes
Hartnell College - 411 Central Avenue, CAB-112, Salinas, CA 93901
January 23, 2013 at 3:00PM
I.Chair(s)

Willard Lewallen
Ann Wright

* DRAFT MINUTES *
II.Attendee(s)

Tony Anderson, Academic Senate
Dale W. Fuge, L-39
Ismael Ramirez, Maint.
Wayne Ross, ASHC
Joanne Trevino, Classified Senate

Absent member: Matt Coombs, IT
III.Guest(s)

David Beymer, FTFHC
Mary Dominguez, Student Affairs
Stephanie Low, Academic Affairs
Aurora Mendez, SPA
Alfred Muñoz, Admin
Terri Pyer, FTFHC
Richard Prystowsky, Inst. Plng & Effect
Melissa Stave, HCFA
Dan Teresa, PE
Aurelia Vacaflor, SPA
IV.Supporter(s)

Laura Warren
V.Adjournment

4:40 p.m.

Agenda #1

Topic:Approval of Agenda
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:Tony Anderson motioned to approve agenda as written; Joanne Trevino seconded. Ann Wright then called for a vote; all were in favor to approve agenda as written.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #2

Topic:Approval of Minutes
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:Ann called for a vote to approve minutes from the December 12, 2012; minutes unanimously approved with no changes or corrections.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #3

Topic:Unfinished Business: Recommendations for Full Time Faculty Hiring Committee (FTFHC)
Presenter:David Beymer
Summary of Agenda Item:Ann began by informing the RAC that although the FTFHC has been heard from before, they were asked to answer additional questions. David Beymer provided a letter to the RAC from the FTFHC listing the seven full-time faculty hiring recommendations. The list reflected:
(1) Math
(2) Biology
(3) Counseling
(4) Spanish
(5) Physical Education
(6) English
(7) Psychology

Additionally, David stated that no recommendations were made with regard to the two full-time temporary positions in English and Nursing. David then responded to several questions from the members and discussion followed.

Ann then put forth a vote to accept the list as provided by the FTFHC. All members were in favor with no opposition or abstentions. Ann then asked what the next steps would be to which Willard Lewallen stated that he will take the recommendations to the President's Cabinet for further discussion and determinations. The goal is to get these positions into the recruitment process as soon as possible.
Action(s) required:Present FTFHC's list of recommendations to President's Cabinet.
Responsibilites:Willard Lewallen
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #4

Topic:Unfinished Business: Administrative Reorganization - Review of Survey Results and Next Steps
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Willard spoke about the recently posted survey results. He said two predominate themes emerged: (1) concern about instability in the organizational structure of the college, i.e., number of interim positions; and (2) duties and responsibilities or workload associated with the academic affairs area. He said a number of comments focused on the dean level, in particular. Tony Anderson then asked what the next step is. Willard responded that all the input would be taken in and an organizational structure would be moving forward with interim positions being filled. He also said that the instability is pretty easy to address; the piece about more positions being needed in some areas will have to be taken into consideration. Ann then asked about job descriptions and if any input was needed from faculty and/or staff. Willard answered that for a number of positions, job descriptions are already in place but, in terms of new positions, he would like to bring those to the RAC to share for informational purposes.
Action(s) required:No action items.
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #5

Topic:Unfinished Business: Shared Governance Reorganization and Next Steps
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Willard began by stating that a small group or task force would probably need to be formed to make recommendations related to reorganization which group would take into account the shared governance retreat report and findings. Ann asked if a time should be set by which the task force/small group would be formed; Willard said he will be sending out something very soon. Wayne Ross then asked if a faculty member who is also a student could be a representative to which Willard responded that, on the surface, it is his belief that doing so could pose a conflict of interest. Ann said RAC would now wait to receive updates.
Action(s) required:No action items.
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #6

Topic:Unfinished Business: Compressed Calendar and Next Steps
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Willard provided a handout containing a recommended list of membership in a 16 Week Calendar Task Force which would get the process of planning started. Tony asked if the task force will go before another group; Willard said he anticipates having some open forums before the campus. Discussion followed. Ann asked if the 16 week calendar could be started as soon as the 2014-15 year to which Mary Dominguez responded, yes.
Action(s) required:No action items.
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #7

Topic:New Business: Student Affairs Administrative Procedures
Presenter:Mary Dominguez
Summary of Agenda Item:Mary provided handouts and briefly explained AP 4240, AP 5410, and BP 5410.

Ann requested a motion to approve taking BP 5410 to the Board for approval. Joanne Trevino moved; Tony seconded; Ann then put forth a vote to approve. All members in favor with no opposition or abstentions.

Tony then moved to approve AP 5410; Dale W. Fuge seconded. Ann asked for any discussion then put forth a vote to approve. All were in favor with no opposition or abstentions. Discussion followed.

As BP 4240 was already approved by the Board, Ann asked for a motion to approve AP 4240. So moved by Tony; Joanne seconded. Discussion followed. Ann called for a vote; all were in favor with no opposition or abstentions.

Action(s) required:None.
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #8

Topic:New Business: Budget Development Process for 2013-14
Presenter:Alfred Muñoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Al began by telling the group that an official process is being implemented and a calendar is being developed which calendar has been modified from what has been used in the past. VPs and managers will receive the calendar over the next week. Discussion ensued. Al then said that departments were asked to bring forward their prioritized needs for presentation at the March RAC meeting for review. Willard stated that requests must be tied to something such as program review, accreditation, internal assessment and not simply out of the blue needs. Al further mentioned that meetings will be starting with VPs. Ann stated that March will be a busy time for RAC.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #9

Topic:Next meeting
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:February 13, 2013
3:00 p.m.
Action(s) required:
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):