> Home > Shared_governance > Committees > Resources > Minutes_view

Resource and Allocation Committee

Print View Resource and Allocation Committee Minutes
Hartnell College Board Room - 411 Central Salinas, CA
October 14, 2009 at 3:00PM
I.Chair(s)

Ann Wright, Chair

NOTE: These minutes were approved at the combined RFC meeting on November 11, 2009.
NOTE: This was a combined meeting of the Resource Allocation Committee (RAC), Financial Information Sub-Committee (FIS), and Cabinet members.

II.Attendee(s)

Please see last agenda item for RFC members present at this meeting. *For voting purposes of motions at this meeting RAC members present: A.Wright, A.Cortes, D.Fuge, K.Locke, L.Johnson, M.Wiebusch, N.Schur, P.Helm
III.Guest(s)

Shannon McCann
IV.Supporter(s)

Rachell Summers
V.Adjournment

5:00 pm

Agenda #1

Topic:Motions
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:NOTE: There were no motions presented at this meeting.
Action(s) required:None
Responsibilites:N/A
Deadline(s):N/A

Agenda #2

Topic:Approval of Minutes, 9/9/2009
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:The minutes from September 9, 2009 were approved as written.
Action(s) required:N/A
Responsibilites:N/A
Deadline(s):N/A

Agenda #3

Topic:2009-2010 Budget
Presenter:Phoebe Helm, Barbara Yesnosky
Summary of Agenda Item:The Hartnell Community College District Fiscal 2009-2010 Budget was distributed. The budget presented will be voted on by the Hartnell College Board of Trustees at a Special Meeting on October 20, 2009. Phoebe Helm presented highlights from the budget and compared it to the tentative budget that was approved by the Board at the June 2009 meeting. Phoebe pointed out that there is a cushion of $500,000 built into the 2009-2010 in anticipation of midyear cuts. Phoebe also presented a Seven-Year FTES History.
Action(s) required:None if proposed budget is passed by the Board of Trustees a the October 20, 2009 Board of Trustees meeting.
Responsibilites:N/A
Deadline(s):N/A

Agenda #4

Topic:ALC Redesign Team Report
Presenter:Shannon McCann
Summary of Agenda Item:The ALC Redesign Team met again to revisit the Spring 2009 recommendations they made regarding the ALC Redesign. Since meeting in Spring, the picture at Hartnell has changed and Shannon presented its new report and provided a handout with recommendations. The ALC redesign team leaders have connected with the Preparation for College and Career Cluster group and it has been agreed that these two groups should work together to share information and planning. Jennifer Fellguth and Shannon McCann are meeting with Carole Bogue-Feinour on Thursday, October 15, 2009 to discuss how the two planning groups can best support each other.

Math Lab plans for Spring 2010 - Kelly Locke and Jim Riley are developing lab/distance ed hybrid 8-week courses for Math 200, 201, 121, 123, and 151. These will replace the self-paced, open-entry, positive-attendance courses formerly and currently offered in the lab.

Tutoral Center plans for Spring 2010 - Tutorial services applications & orientations now required are increasing reportable attendance; Biology SI sessions are now eligible for non-credit funding through INS-301; DLAs are currently being offered for 8 sections of English; Math and Science DLAs will be developed next spring; Technical support is available for eCollege students and eCollege is being used to support tutorial students; planning best practices in teaching and student support in-service for ESL, English, and Math faculty.

Business/Computer Lab plans for Spring 2010 -Business 110 will be offered in two 8-week modules; Business 200 is being revised to allow more topics to be included.

English/Writing Lab plans for Spring 1020 - The English department has been trying to meet to make progress on how the ALC can support writing and English courses, but has not been able to meet so far. They will try to meet on Friday, October 16, 2009 for this discussion; The Title V supported DLAs currently being offered through the Tutorial Center are all that is being planned for Spring 2010.

Overall plans for Fall 2010 - DLAs for English will continue and the Labs will work with the activity directors of the new Title V grant to develop and implement DLAs for targeted math and science courses; The ALC redeisign teamm will continue to work with the Preparation for College and Career cluster group and with the Basic Skills Initiative group to plan campus-wide academic support for students.

A new name for the Academic Learning Center was suggested by the redeisn group as Academic Skills/Success & Knowledge (ASK). This is still a work in progress, but has great marketing potential: Students - Need help with your classes? Just ASK! Faculty - Need information on student progress? Just ASK!

There was discussion/questions from RFC group about what the fiscal savings are with the redesign and the impact on students.

There was discussion about a student survey to determine the impact on students. Langston Johnson will work with Shannon McCann and the redesign team on the survery.

The ALC Redesign Team will investigate these topics regarding fiscal impact the results of student survey and report back to the RFC.

The ALC Redesign Team was commended for their creativity in redesigning the ALC and were tasked to continue their work and to report back to RFC with further developments.
Action(s) required:ALC Redesign Team will continue to meet and will report back to RFC.
Responsibilites:Shannon McCann, Jennifer Fellguth
Deadline(s):TBD

Agenda #5

Topic:Security Concerns
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:There have been some thefts on campus of projectors from Merrill Hall. It was recommended that a request be made to the HR/Technology/Facilities Committee to look into changes to the security (i.e. door locks, etc.) of the Merrill Hall classrooms.

Phoebe reported that she has spoken to Damon Felice about a FOB system for the campus. A FOB system is a device that hangs on key hat can be programmed so that a staff/faculty member can have access to a facility. If the key is lost, then the FOB can be disabled. This eliminates the need to re-key an entire building or facility if a staff/faculty loses their key(s). Bond funds could cover the cost of the FOBs because it falls under safety, per Damon Felice. Phoebe has also spoken to Fred Foerster, Manager of Universal Protection Services (Hartnell's Campus Security contract) and he is looking into the loss and ways to secure the equipment to avoid future thefts.
Action(s) required:None
Responsibilites:None
Deadline(s):N/A

Agenda #6

Topic:Grants
Presenter:Gary Hughes
Summary of Agenda Item:This item was tabled for future meeting.
Action(s) required:Report at November 11, 2009 RFC meeting
Responsibilites:Gary Hughes
Deadline(s):11/11/2009

Agenda #7

Topic:CALL Building Move Update
Presenter:Greg Peterson
Summary of Agenda Item:Greg Peterson gave a brief update on the moves to the CALL building. All plans for moving are on target. Furniture has been ordered and will be delivered soon. All physical changes to the building will be completed on time for the Nursing Department to move in November 2009.

The move of Student Affairs one-stop will probably occur in the 3rd - 5th week of Spring 2010 semester (approximately Mid-February to Mid-March timeframe).
Action(s) required:Continued updates on CALL Building moves
Responsibilites:Gary Hughes, Greg Peterson
Deadline(s):Ongoing

Agenda #8

Topic:Next Steps
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:This was not an item on the Agenda, but Ann Wright closed the meeting asking the RFC to think about the budget for the future. Where do we want to put our scarce resources? What does the committee want to know more about and have analyzed? Should this be done as part of the program review process? It was suggested to think about Summer Session. Should there only be Bridge programs that are grant funded? What other ideas could be cost saving?
Action(s) required:Continued discussion.
Responsibilites:RFC Committee
Deadline(s):Ongoing

Agenda #9

Topic:Attendance of RFC (combined RAC/FIS/Cabinet) at 9/9/2009 meeting
Presenter:
Summary of Agenda Item:RAC members: Ann Wright, Armando Cortes, Dale Fuge, Kelly Locke, Langston Johnson, Margie Wiebusch, Nancy Schur, Phoebe Helm

FIS members: Alfred Munoz, Armando Cortes (RAC member), Barbara Yesnosky, Larry Adams, Peter Calvert

Cabinet members: Barbara Yesnosky (FIS), Beverly Grova (FIS), Greg Peterson, Liz Estrella, Terri Pyer, Phoebe Helm
Action(s) required:None
Responsibilites:None
Deadline(s):N/A