A FREE Start on an Exceptional Education
PLUS, total support for your success
The Salinas Valley Promise program combines instructional excellence with professional guidance, leadership development, life-skills training and a scholarship to ensure your success.
You pay zero in-state tuition as a first-year, full-time student, regardless of your family income.
Benefits of the Promise
As a Salinas Valley Promise student, you receive:
- A full year with zero in-state tuition, regardless of household income
- A free computer OR support for books or meals
- Participation in a summer leadership institute and quarterly workshops with fellow Promise students
- Mentoring by a local professional
- Preparation for an immediate career or transfer to CSU, UC and other universities
Accepting the Promise
You are eligible for the Salinas Valley Promise if you are a graduate (diploma or GED) of a high school or adult school within the Hartnell Community College District, entering college for the first time.
To get started:
- Apply for admission as a full-time student (12 or more units per semester) at Hartnell for Fall 2019 and continue through Spring 2020. First-time students who enroll for Summer 2019 and continue for the fall semester also qualify.
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) OR the California Dream Act Application and include Hartnell College (Federal School Code 001209) on your application. These are due March 2 to apply for a 2019-2020 Cal Grant. (Note: FAFSA and Dream Act submission deadlines for the Salinas Valley Promise program range from April 12 to June 28, depending on when you enroll at Hartnell.)
- Participate in a three-day leadership institute as part of the Promise program.
If you are interested in the Salinas Valley Promise, please fill out the Cohort Registration Form. A representative from the Office of Special Programs will follow up with more information.