Library Card Policies
Circulation rules make sure materials are equally available to all students. Library staff are pleased to explain these rules and help you find the materials you need. Ask us, or call 755-6872.
- All Hartnell students, faculty, and staff wishing to check out materials or use the library’s computers must have a current Hartnell College CatCard. Students, faculty, and staff must register their CatCard at the Hartnell Library Circulation Services Desk each semester..
- Community users 18 years old or older may use the Hartnell Library’s Internet computers by purchasing a guest copy card, and presenting it and a valid driver’s license or California I.D. card at the Hartnell Library Circulation Desk each semester. They will be able to use computers, but not check out materials, with their guest cards.
- Students, faculty, and staff wishing to check out library materials may present their CatCard at the Circulation Services Desk, or use one of the self-check stations located on each floor of the library.
- All computer users will use their Hartnell CatCard number to log in to computers in the library. The staff will not look up card numbers for those who forget their library card. Any Library users with fines or fees of $10.00 or more will be denied access to the library’s computers.
- Library users may not use another user’s card to check out materials or log in to the library’s computers. Doing so will result in the loss of library privileges for the remainder of that semester.
- All users are responsible for the use of their cards, and must report lost or stolen cards to the Hartnell Library as soon as possible.
Materials Use Policies
- Books are checked out to students for two weeks. Books
can be renewed twice unless someone needs them and has
placed a "hold" on them. Books can be renewed in person in the library, or online using the “Patron” link in the Hartnell Library Online Catalog.
- Overdue books must be renewed or returned to avoid a block on your Hartnell College records (no grades, transcripts, or enrollment), and a suspension of your Library privileges (checking out materials; using library computers).
- All lost materials must be paid for to avoid a block.
- Reserve books and materials are limited to library use only.
- There is an hourly or daily fee for overdue Reserve
- Magazines and newspapers are for library use only.
- Students may check out Media materials (such as videos) at the Computer and Media Services desk, and are for library use only.