> Home > Student Services > Extended Opportunity Program & Services  > Apply

How to Apply to EOPS/CARE?

Thank you for your interest in the EOPS and/or CARE Programs. By following the steps below, you can enroll quickly and allow our staff to begin providing you with EOPS/CARE services.


To become an EOPS/CARE student you must:
  1. Apply to Hartnell College. You may apply in person at the Admissions & Records Office (or online at: http://old-www.hartnell.edu/admissions/registration/index.html). The Admissions & Records Office is open Monday- Thursday: 8:00 AM- 7:00 PM & Friday: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM (the office hours during vacation periods will vary and the times will be posted at the entrance).

  2. Apply for Financial Aid. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov . Before you apply to the EOPS/ CARE program make sure you have completed an online FAFSA for the appropriate school year at least three weeks prior to applying to EOPS. You may contact the Hartnell College Financial Aid Office for assistance in filling out your FAFSA.

  3. Be a Full-time Student. Before submitting your EOPS/CARE application you must be enrolled in 12 units or more (unless you fall under the following exceptions: CARE-qualified applicants, can be enrolled in 9 units; and DSPS students, can be enrolled in 6 units).

  4. Apply to EOPS/CARE. Complete an EOPS Application. You can download a copy of the application here, and submit the completed application to the EOPS Office, or you may obtain a paper application in person at the EOPS/CARE Office. Be sure to apply before the deadline specific to the semester you are applying for.


If you meet EOPS eligibility requirements and are admitted to the program, you will be required to:

  1. Attend a mandatory EOPS orientation.
  2. Schedule an appointment to meet with an EOPS counselor to complete an education plan.



The CARE Program requires following additional steps if you qualify:

  • Be sure to complete the CARE section of the EOPS application and submit to the EOPS/CARE Office.
  • Submit a copy of your most current Passport to Services. The Passport to Services is a Monterey County document which you may request from your CWES or Benefits Case Worker.
  • Remember you must be enrolled in 9 or more units, to be considered for EOPS/CARE services.

Meet with the CARE Program Technician at anytime during this process, Fanny Salgado, fsalgado@hartnell.edu, 755-6860.