How to add and drop courses
To add courses before the course begins, follow the below steps:
- Do you have a current CCCAPPLY application on file?
- If yes, go ahead and follow the below steps.
- If no, first you must apply via CCCAPPLY, then follow the below steps.
- Have proof of COVID-19 vaccination/exemption on file.
- Check your PAWS Self Serve and make sure you don't have outstanding balances or holds that may prevent you from
- Outstanding balances can be paid via PAWS Self Serve under Student Finance => Make a Payment
- Holds - when trying to register you will see a notice at the top right corner of your PAWS Self Serve indicating the reason why you cannot add a course. If you need assistance understanding the hold, reach out to Admissions & Records.
- Are you a:
- Continuing student - search the schedule of classes and register via PAWS Self Serve. Also, review the Program Mapper to figure out which courses to take in your program of study
- New student - schedule an appointment with a counselor to create an education plan. Also, review the Program Mapper to figure out which courses to take in your program of study.
Make sure to have completed steps 1-3 on the above section.
How to add a class using Add Authorization once the course has begun.
As of the first day of the class, regardless of whether the class is open or has a waitlist you must get permission from the instructor to add the class . Please email the instructor to express your interest in adding the class.
Instructions on how to add a class using the Add Authorization.
Necessary details to include in the email to the instructor:
full name: first and last
seven digit student ID number
course name and section number
Based on the availability of seats in the class, the instructor will grant the student permission to add the class. After the instructor has granted permission to the student, the student must complete the add by logging on to PAWS Self Serve.
You must add the course within the first 2-week of the start of the term for semester long courses (16-weeks).
Full Semester Courses are 16-week courses.
- The deadline to a add a full semester course is the Saturday of the 2nd week of the semester. There are no exceptions beyond this deadline.
- There are various drop deadlines. Please review the Hartnell College Student Semester Calendar.
Short Courses vary in length. Some short courses will be 15-weeks and others might be 8-weeks.
- The add authorization must be used online using PAWS for Students by the 2nd class meeting.
- Short courses have very compressed drop deadlines. Any drops after the 2nd class meeting will result in a withdrawal grade.
If you miss the add period, you will not be added to the course.
Dropping a course is not an automatic process. Students who are not present at the first class meeting may be dropped by the instructor as a "no show". However, it is the student's responsibility to drop any classes in which he/she is not planning to attend. Failure to do so may result in an "F" grade. Please follow this link to view the Attendance Policy.
Fall 2022 ADD/DROP period is August 29 - September 9
PAWS Self Serve is available 24 hours a day.
Admissions & Records Service Hours
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 6:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 1:00pm
*Hours are subject to change and will be posted outside the office
Who To Contact
- Admissions and Records
Phone: (831) 755-6711 Fax: (831) 759-6014
Building: B - Student Services
B - Student Services