Total Withdrawal & Refunds

Students’ withdrawal from a class or classes shall be authorized through the last day of the 14th week (or 75%) of the instructional term. No “W” will be given after the 14th week. After the fourteenth week, the only grades given will be “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” “F,” “NP,” “P”. No notation (“W” or other) shall be made on the academic record of the student who withdraws during the first three weeks or 20% of a term, whichever is less.

For semester-length courses (16-18 weeks), withdrawal between the end of the third week and the last day of the fourteenth week of instruction shall be recorded as a “W” on the student’s record. For courses less than a semester in length, withdrawal between 20% and 75% of the course shall be recorded as a “W” on the student’s record. The “W” shall not be used in calculating grade point averages, but excessive “W’s” (see Standards of Probation and Dismissal) shall be used as factors in probation and dismissal procedures.

The Dean of Student Affairs-Enrollment Services may, by regulation, authorize withdrawals from a class or classes in extenuating circumstances after the last day of the fourteenth week (or 75% of the term, whichever is less) upon petition of the student or his/her representative. The Dean of Student Affairs-Enrollment Services will consult with the appropriate faculty.  Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accidents, illnesses, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student.


Students may drop classes by using PAWS for Students Online Registration System;  However, you may not drop your last class (completely withdraw from HCC) using this system.  

Total withdrawals can only be processed by completing a Total Withdrawal Form.   Students must complete the Total Withdrawal Form by following the procedures that are shown on the back of the form. 

A total withdrawal from the college may impact your academic record and Financial Aid status at Hartnell and future financial aid eligibility at another college or university.  It is highly encouraged to speak with a Hartnell College Counselor and the Financial Aid Office prior to making that decision.  Please contact the Counseling Office at (831) 755-6820 and review the Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws section of our website for more information on the impact of withdrawing.


Hartnell College’s refund policy can be found on this web link:   

Fees and Refunds