For purposes of establish tuition fees, students are identified as either residents or non-residents. The full residency policy can be found in the current college catalog. 

Residents:  A resident student is one who has been a legal resident in California for more than a year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to enroll and who demonstrates the intent to remain a permanent California resident.

Non-Residents: A non-resident student is one who has not had a legal residency in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester.  Non-resident students are required to pay non-resident tuition in addition to enrollment fees.

Non-resident Tuition Exemption
Under the provisions of AB 540 (2001), certain nonresident students who have attended high school in California are exempted from payment of nonresident tuition at public colleges and universities in California, including Hartnell. 

If you feel you are eligible for this special exemption, submit the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form to the Admissions & Records Office for review. The form is available in the Schedule of Classes or it can be picked up in the Admissions & Records Office.

Do you qualify for the Nonresident Tuition Exemption? To be exempt under this law, you need to:

  • have attended a high school (public or private) or adult school in California for three or more years and
  • have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam) and
  • not be on an F1, B or other nonimmigrant visa


  • If you are a nonimmigrant [for example, you hold an F (student) visa, B (visitor) visa, etc.] then you are not eligible for this exemption.
  • If you are transferring from another California public college or university and wish to continue your exemption, make a new exemption request to us, along with required documentation.
  • If you meet the criteria, you will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but you will not be classified as a California resident. You will continue to be classified as nonresident.

Who To Contact

  • Admissions and Records
    Phone: (831) 755-6711 Fax: (831) 759-6014
    Building: B - Student Services
    Office: B-121
    B - Student Services