Skip to main content

Evaluation services provide an advisory opinion about what an individual's foreign educational background represents in U.S. terms, for purposes such as employment, professional licensure and further education. Hartnell College does not endorse, recommend or approve any particular evaluation service, and will make the final determination about the transferability of specific courses.

Students who have completed college or university level courses outside of the United States and are requesting credit at Hartnell College, must submit a Request for Transfer Credit Evaluation after the completion of 6.0 units at Hartnell.

It is the responsibility of the student to provide all required documentation to the Admissions & Records Office. 1. Official foreign transcripts.
2. Official Transcript Evaluation. Transcript evaluations must be completed by a Credential Evaluation Service. Reports MUST include course-by-course reports with semester unit equivalencies and letter grades.
3. Detailed Course Descriptions may be required for you to provide for those courses you hope to transfer, or college catalog in English.

The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) is a membership organizing for credential evaluation services. The NACESA home page lists member evaluation services. Some are listed below:


Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
PO Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310) 275-3530; (800) 234-1597

The Foreign Educational Document Service
PO Box 4091
Stockton, CA 95204
Phone: (209) 948-6589

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: (310) 258-9451
Fax: (310) 342-7086

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 52302-3470
Phone: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411

World Education Services, Inc.
PO Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 966-6395


Foreign Transcript Evaluation for Transfer

Students planning to transfer should follow the evaluation instructions above. Please keep in mind that the evaluation is advisory only. Your transfer university will do an evaluation when you apply for admission and determine which classes will be accepted. Also, please keep in mind the following information:

  • Foreign transcripts cannot be used towards IGETC General Education certification (other than waiving the foreign language requirement).
  • Foreign transcripts cannot be used towards California State General Education certification.
  • Foreign transcripts may be used to satisfy university specific requirements: however, this is done on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the transfer university. Some universities are not able to evaluate your records prior to receiving an application for admission.

Additional information

  • In general, English and United States history and government courses taken outside the United States cannot be used towards college credit.