Skip to main content

Substance Abuse Policy

In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 (Public Law 101-226, amending the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1986 and the Higher Education Act of 1965), Hartnell Community College District prohibits the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students, faculty, or staff on District property or as part of its activities. Any student or employee in violation of this policy is subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion from the college or termination from employment. In addition, persons that are not students or employees of the college, while they are on college property, are required to adhere to the standards of conduct applicable to Hartnell College students, and to abide by all Hartnell Community College District Board Policies, including BP 5230 (Drug-Free Campus – Students), BP 5045 (Drug Free Workplace), and BP 5500 (Standards of Student Conduct).

Financial Aid Ineligibility Due to a Drug Offense and Regaining Eligibility

A conviction for any drug-related offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs, during the period of enrollment for which a student is receiving funding under any federal or state law, will result in the loss of eligibility for any federal and/or state grant, loan, or work-study assistance. Students with a conviction for any drug-related offense may petition to have Financial Aid eligibility reinstated pending verification of satisfactory completion of an approved rehabilitation program that meets the standards set by Congress and the Department of Education. In that case, eligibility will run from the date of successful completion of the approved program.

Approved programs include:


Alcohol Abuse and Violations

Hartnell’s Standards of Student Conduct Policy and Procedures (BP 5500 and AP 5500)  provide that the following conduct shall constitute good cause for discipline, including but not limited to expulsion:

Unlawful possession, use, sale, offer to sell, or furnishing, or being under the influence of, any controlled substance listed in California Health and Safety Code Sections 11053 et seq., an alcoholic beverage, or an intoxicant of any kind; or unlawful possession of, or offering, arranging or negotiating the sale of any drug paraphernalia, as defined in California Health and Safety Code Section 11014.5.

 Need Help?

If you are experiencing problems with substance abuse or need some preventative assistance, counseling, or a referral of a treatment center, please contact the Hartnell Crisis Counseling Office at 831-770-7019. Employees may access assistance through their health and welfare benefits, including their benefits under the Employee Assistance Plan provided by MHN,, or call 888-327-0010 (have the number on your health plan ID card ready).

Be prepared by being informed. Medical and health information on the health and safety risks of using, overusing, and abusing alcohol and other drugs can be found at: