The Music Program offers coursework and ensembles that embrace the diversity of our valley. Music is the universal language of the global village of the 21st century. It forms an integral part of our lives, from the musical “logos” that introduce every media program, to the songs and dances that provide identity to our diverse backgrounds. Study and participation in music has proven to further not only creativity and critical thinking, but also our sense of cooperation and community. At Hartnell, performance opportunities are available for all students in a wide range of vocal and instrumental ensembles. In addition, many courses are designed for students with no previous training in music. The department offers courses that prepare music majors for transfer to four-year universities as well as many courses for the general student.
The AA Degree in Music prepares students for transfer and careers in the following fields: credentialed school instruction; private studio instruction; vocal or instrumental performance; composition or arranging for film, television, or multimedia; sound engineering; conducting; college or university instruction; arts and education administration; and music journalism. For detailed requirements for individual four-year institutions, students should contact the transfer institution and/or meet with a counselor for specific transfer course requirements in their major.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon successful completion of the Music program, a student should be able to:
• analyze the harmonic structure of music from the Common Practice Period.
• sight-sing intermediate level tonal melodies.
• demonstrate piano proficiency at the lower-intermediate level.
• perform individually on an instrument or with the voice, and collaboratively in an instrumental or vocal ensemble.
• aurally identify the genre and stylistic period of examples from the western art music tradition.
• utilize computer applications for audio recording and notation.
Who To Contact
- Clint Cowden
Interim Dean of Academic Affairs (S&B Sci, C&I Supp & FA)
Building: Alisal Campus
Office: AC-A 106
Alisal Campus - Building A
Administrative Assistant III
Building: D - College Administration (North)
College Administration (North)
- Location type: Building Building Name: College Administration (North)