What is CalWORKs at Hartnell College?

calworks logoThe Hartnell College California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program is a state funded program designed to provide academic support for CalWORKs participants to succeed in both their educational and employment goals. As a CalWORKs participant at Hartnell College, individuals join a supportive group that acts as a liaison between the student and their county of residence, as well as provides support services.



  • Must have at least one child or dependent under the age of 18.
  • Student and their child(ren)/dependent(s) must be a current CalWORKs or TANF Cash Aid recipient (CalFresh, Medical, Unemployment, Disability, etc. is NOT CalWORKs Cash Aid).
  • Student has, or is currently developing, a Welfare-to-Work (WTW) plan that refers them to the college for education and training, unless they qualify for an exemption from their county of residence.
  • Students must fulfill their work participation requirements in order to remain eligible to receive services.
  • There is no unit minimum. Students can take credit or non-credit classes.



  • 1st Tier Priority Registration

CalWORKs students get 1st tier priority registration, meaning they get to register before the general student population and other priority groups. 1st tier priority registration is 1 day before DSPS note takers, HEP, MESA, Student Athletes, SI Leaders and TRiO! For more information about registration, including priority registration dates, please view the Registration webpage.

  • Assigned Hartnell College CalWORKs Counselor

Our dedicated CalWORKs counselor will develop an educational plan that's in accordance to the student's Welfare-to-Work plan. Our counselor acts as a liaison between Hartnell College and the students' county of residence.

  • Advanced Standard Payment for All Required Materials

ALL required course materials will be paid for by the county of residence through the county's Advanced Standard Payment and reimbursement process. $500 will be given to full-time students and $250 will be given to part-time students. Students are able to keep all funds from the Advanced Standard Payment. If the cost of books and supplies cost more than the Advance Standard Payment you can request reimbursement. Please consult with your case worker for more information.

  • CalWORKs Work Study

CalWORKs Work Study is on-campus employment opportunities that are only available to students in the CalWORKs program. Income earned from a CalWORKs Work Study position will not affect the student's cash aid award and the student may be able to use their work hours to satisfy their work participation requirements.

  • Lending Library

Our students can borrow textbooks, Chromebooks and calculators for free through our office’s Lending Library. Lending Library items are released on a first come, first serve basis to our students every semester. Don’t forget to see if we have what you need before you pay for any materials out of pocket, check out the Lending Library Book Inventory! Students must follow theLending Library Contract's Policy.

  • Other Supportive Services:
    • Student Success Workshops
    • Events
    • Plus other free “in office” services like printing, scantrons, and school supplies


Steps To Apply

Step 1.  If you are new to Hartnell College, please complete the Hartnell College Registration Steps. You will need a Hartnell College Student ID and must be enrolled in at least one course in order to apply to our program.

Step 2. Request a Verification of Benefits (VOB) and "Referral" from your case worker. Please talk with your case worker about attending Hartnell College. Our students must have, or be currently developing, a welfare-to-work (WTW) plan that refers them to the college for education and training, unless they're exempt.

Step 3. Complete the Hartnell College CalWORKs Application online. Upload a current Verification of Benefits (VOB) and a copy of your "Referral" to your online application or email your documents to hcceops@hartnell.edu.


CARE Program

You might be eligible for the EOPS and CARE programs! The CARE program is a student support program designed to provide services to students that are single parents, head of household, and receiving CalWORKs Cash Aid. The services offered to students in the CARE program are in addition to any other financial aid and CalWORKs benefits.

"Supporting parenting students who are changing their own lives, two generations at a time."

Who To Contact

  • EOPS, CARE & CalWORKs Office
    Phone: 831-755-6860
    Building: Main Campus, Building B
    Office: Room 241
    Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
  • Sarah Garcia
    Program Assistant I
    Phone: 831-755-6860
    Building: Main Campus, Building B
    Office: Room 241
  • Dr. Nancy Reyes
    EOPS, CARE and CalWORKs Counselor
    Phone: 831-755-6920
    Building: Main Campus, Building B
    Office: Room 241