The English as a Second Language (ESL) program has speaking, listening, reading and writing courses to help you improve your English and realize your educational and professional goals. A residency card or Social Security number is not required to take ESL classes.
We offer classes in the mornings and evenings. We offer classes that are 16 weeks, 8 weeks, and 6 weeks. We offer non-credit classes, which are free. We offer credit classes, which are low cost and will help prepare you for taking other classes at Hartnell College.
We also offer an ESL computer laboratory that you can use on your own time. The laboratory classes are free or low cost.
Benefits of being a Hartnell student:
- Classes are available free or at a low cost
- Hartnell students get to ride MST for free with their student ID
- Hartnell students have access to the library, internet and computers
- Hartnell students can use many campus programs such as academic counseling, crisis counseling, MiCASA, EOPS/Care, MILE, WELI, TRiO, the Panther Learning Lab, and many more
You may be able to begin taking classes almost immediately, so don’t wait to apply.
To be placed in a class that is the right level for you, click here and choose the English as a Second Language button.
See ESL course descriptions here.
See current ESL schedule here.
Full-Time ESL Faculty:
Carol King, email email@example.com
James Beck, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Diane Harley, email email@example.com
Who To Contact
- Admissions and Records and Student Services
Phone: (831) 755-6711
Building: Hartnell College Main Campus
Office: Building B, Room 121
411 Central Avenue, Salinas, CA 93901