Guide for Students in Arts & Languages
This page is for students pursuing or exploring an academic program within the Arts & Languages Meta-Major.
Choices you make during your time as a Hartnell student will help you complete your degree or certificate in order to immediately begin your career or transfer to complete a bachelor’s degree at a four-year university.
Steps on Your Way
GET TO KNOW FACULTY
- Get to know A&L instructors in your classes and by attending student drop-in hours.
- Watch for and join faculty-led workshops offered by the Panther Transfer Academy, the Library/Learning Resource Center and the Panther Learning Lab.
Join STUDENT CLUBS
Visit the Hartnell Clubs & Organizations page to learn about student groups directly connected to A&L careers, such as Theatre Arts & Cinema, the Writers’ Guild, Spanish Club, Photography Club and more.
Attend A&L Events
Students can attend Hartnell events at no charge, and many community events are available free or at a reduced cost:
- Live theatre at The Western Stage on the Hartnell campus
- College and community art exhibits
- Poetry readings and visiting authors
- College and community music performances
- Annual cultural festivals
Career Test Drive
- Check salary info and education required for A&L careers in the Hartnell Program Mapper.
- Attend transfer and career fairs for A&L at Hartnell.
- Watch for community events, such as the Defense Language Institute Language Day and those offered by the Monterey County Workforce Development Board.
- Check out related opportunities in science, technology and engineering at Hartnell’s STEM Art Lab.
- Watch for college info on student competitions, grants & awards.
Apply for Scholarships
Scholarships specifically for Arts & Languages students include:
- Film student scholarships for Monterey County residents
- Greater Than Gatsby photography scholarships
- Cyrus Artisan Rugs Scholarship Grant
- Killian Scholarships for Hartnell music students
- Boronda International Travel Program
TEACH AND MENTOR OTHERS
- National Steinbeck Center Writing Coach
- Become a tutor or SI in the Panther Learning Lab.
- Volunteer with the Monterey County Free Libraries.
INTERNSHIPS AND WORK STUDY
- Explore internship opportunities with The Western Stage, MCAET, Digital Nest and the Salinas Valley Arts & Innovation Hub.
- Get personalized help finding other A&L internships from the Hartnell College Job & Internship Placement Coordinator.
- Investigate Work Study jobs at the Library/Learning Resource Center.