Guide for Students in Registered Nursing
This Educational Path is for students pursuing or exploring the Registered Nursing program within the Health Sciences Meta-Major. The Registered Nursing program is selective and requires a separate application process from Hartnell College.
Choices you make during your time as a Hartnell student will help you complete your degree or certificate in order to immediately begin your career or transfer to complete a bachelor’s degree at a four-year university.
Steps on Your Way
- Be active in the student nurses association: NSNA, SNA Club, AWHONN Club, Men in Nursing Club
- Maintain and attain certifications *(BLS, PALS, ACLS, NRP)
- Attend health career fairs.
- Seek volunteer and job opportunities with health organizations.
- Review Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) application processes for licensure.
- Explore nursing careers.
- Generate an electronic portfolio/resumé.
- Participate in mock interviews.
- Meet with counseling
- Petition for graduation
- Petition for transfer
- Apply for NCLEX-RN
TRANSFER READINESS FOR POST-LICENSURE PROGRAMS
- Explore pre- and post-licensure RN-BSN/RN-MSN/Advanced Practice academic program types (online, hybrid, and face-to-face).
- Maintain counseling connections re: requirements for transfer.
- Explore transfer resources for the CSU and UC, and others.
- Explore scholarships and other funding opportunities to cover cost of education.
- Obtain letters of recommendation.
- Explore mentorships.