Guide for Students in Respiratory Care Practitioner
This page is for students pursuing or exploring the Respiratory Care Practitioner program within the Health Sciences Meta-Major.
Choices you make during your time at Hartnell student will help you complete your degree or certificate in order to immediately begin your career or transfer to complete a bachelor’s degree at a four-year university.
Steps on Your Journey
CHOOSING RESPIRATORY CARE
- Entry into this program is selective and requires a separate application within Hartnell College.
- Make a pre-admission counseling appointment to create your education plan.
- Review prerequisite courses.
- Review admission requirements.
- Understand the multi-criteria selection rubric.
- Review academic program cost sheets.
- Complete health and safety clearances.
- See class and clinical schedules.
- Meet with your counselor regularly to stay aware of program changes.
BECOME CAREER READY
- Join the California Society for Respiratory Care (CSRC).
- Attend health career fairs.
- Learn about the American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC).
- Review certification and license exam requirements through the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Seek or maintain required and specialty certifications (Basic Life Support, P.A.L.S., etc.)
- Prepare an electronic portfolio/resume.
- Participate in mock interviews.
- Review salary and wages for respiratory care.
- Consider clubs and community service.
- Maintain counseling connections to stay aware of changes and requirements for transfer and BS degree.
- Explore pre- and post-license transfer/admission resources.
- Explore financial aid opportunities for continuing education.
- Obtain letters of recommendation.
- Learn about mentorships.