Guide for Students in STEM
This Educational Path is for students pursuing or exploring an academic program within the STEM Meta-Major.
Choices you make during your time at Hartnell student will help you complete your degree or certificate in order to immediately begin your career or transfer to complete a bachelor’s degree at a four-year university.
Steps on Your Way
PLan your Path
- Meet regularly with your counselor and create a comprehensive ed plan; review transfer institution options and requirements.
- If you’re not sure you want to pursue a 4-year (bachelor’s) degree: Review certification requirements. Complete a calendar of important certification deadlines.
- If you plan to pursue a 4-year (bachelor’s) degree: Create a calendar of important deadlines for transfer such as for financial aid and applications. (Even if you’re not sure about this, keep your options open.)
- Review scholarships and financial aid.
- Consider four-year foundational courses in engineering, speech, English, ethnic studies or counseling.
EXPERIENCE YOUR PATH
- Consider becoming a Panther Learning Lab tutor or Supplemental Instructor.
- Explore Hartnell and industry internships in STEM.
- Join MESA and other STEM-related clubs.
- Partner with faculty by attending STEM events and faculty office hours.
- Attend career and job fairs.
- Explore job shadowing through Hartnell’s Science and Math Institute.
continue your path
- Build your experience (and university applications) with WELI, MILE and student club memberships.
- Complete a career assessment questionnaire.
- Consider the Teacher Pathway Program with a focus on STEM.
- Attend and present to professional groups such as Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics in Science and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) or Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE).
Be Transfer Ready (4-Year path)
- Complete a transfer agreement.
- Attend transfer workshops.
- Visit the Transfer & Career Center.
- Create a UC TAP.
- Visit transfer institutions, such as schools in the California State University and University of California.
- Obtain recommendations from the Teacher Pathways coordinators.
Final HARTNELL Steps
- Request letters of recommendation from faculty.
- Complete applications for transfer.
- Apply for graduation — check deadlines.
- Review your transcript for completeness.
- Apply to one or more 4-year universities.
First 4-Year Steps
- Apply for scholarships at your transfer institution.
- Arrange housing and other living preparations at your transfer institution.
- Connect current students with students who have already transferred.
Be Career Ready (workforce path)
- Complete a resume and cover letter.
- Prepare for your interviews.
- Network with your instructors and industry contacts to identify professional opportunities.