Welcome to UMOJA @ Hartnell College
Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. A community of educators and learners, committed to the academic success, personal growth and self-actualization of its students. Umoja students' education is enhanced by integrating academics, support services, and African-American culture. Our aim is to educate the whole student as our Umoja village assists you in navigating the college environment and becoming successful in your educational and personal goals.
Hartnell's Umoja program designed to assist African American and other historically underrepresented students. Umoja is specifically designed to increase the retention, success, graduation, and transfer rates of African American and African Diaspora students.
- Supplemental Instruction/Tutoring
- Academic and cultural enrichment activities
- Umoja counseling course
- Opportunities to attend Umoja conferences and events
- Community Service Opportunities
- Cultural and personal Enrichment activities
- University Visits
- Access to Umoja Village space
- Increased self-confidence
- Leadership development
- Increase academic skills and abilities
- Access to textbook lending library
- Porch Talks
- Transfer assistance: HBCU, UC, CSU and more
- Motivational and Educational workshops
BestColleges featured article: Best HBCUs for LGBTQ+ Students
Who To Contact
- Umoja Counselor
Phone: (831) 755-6820
Schedule an appointment with Tony!