Office of Basic Needs
The Office of Basic Needs at Hartnell College acts as a hub that provides and connects students to essential services relating to food, stable housing, financial stability, and wellness security. Our Mission is to provide students with support programs, awareness, and resources essential to meeting their basic needs and promoting academic success. At our BNC, we understand that basic needs must be approached in a holistic manner, and our staff is committed to providing a safe environment that fosters compassion and respect, and welcomes diversity.
- Also known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Provides monthly food benefits to individuals and families with low-income and provides economic benefits to communities. CalFresh is the largest food program in California and provides an essential hunger safety net.
Pop Up Pantry
Next Date: September 7th and 21st, October 5th and 19th, November 2nd, 16th and 30th, and December 14th. Pantries run from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., on the Main Campus in Building C within the Office of Student Life
Next Date: September 5th and 26th, October 3rd and 31st, November 7th and 28th, and December 5th. Pantries run from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., on the Soledad and King City campuses.
- Pop-up Pantries occur throughout the semester and provide access to kitchen staples and dry goods. Food is donated by the Food Bank of Monterey County.
- Pop-up Pantries are held on selected dates from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the main campus in the Office of Student Life within Building C.
- Please contact email@example.com for specific dates
Fresh Produce Truck
Next Date: Septeber 12th and 26th, 2023 from 9:00 a.m. till produces runs out, on the Main Campus between buildings C and N.
- Fresh produce distribution occurs throughout the semester and provide access to fruits and vegetables. Produce is donated by the Food Bank of Monterey County.
- Fresh Produce Truck days are held on selected dates from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on the main campus between Building C and Building N.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for specific dates.
Emergency Rental Assistance Program
- Rent and utility assistance to income-eligible individuals and families.
- For more information visit: https://hartnellfoundation.org/emergency-rental-assistance-program/ or call: (831) 264-7338.
- Emotional support and counseling (therapy) sessions provided for all enrolled Hartnell students.
- Schedule an Appointment
- Located on the Main Campus, Building D, Offices 123-127
- 24/7 access to mental health services + sessions with licensed psychiatrists
- Accessed through student dashboard
On Campus Resources
DSPS (Department of Supportive Programs & Services)
- DSPS students have access to computers with assistive technologies such as: screen readers, voice recognition, note-taking and magnification software. Braille, large print and PDF also available.
- Visit DSPS website for eligibility or for more information at: https://www.hartnell.edu/students/programs/dsps/registration.html
- All students are provided a 2 hour loan of calculators for math courses or laptops for zoom meetings, group projects or research for use while in the library.
- Check with the Library Technician at the Circulation or Media Services desk. A signed laptop loan agreement must be on file for the student.
- For more information, please visit: https://www.hartnell.edu/library/borrowing-policies.html
Panther Learning Lab
- Provides online tutoring for students with qualified student tutors in various academic areas.
- Tutor Services Coordinator -- Frank Henderson 831-755-6738 or email email@example.com.
Off Campus Resources
- Provides low-cost bilingual computers and computer literacy classes to local low-income families.
- Affordable Connectivity Program
- The ACP is a federal government benefit program from the FCC aimed at ensuring connectivity to eligible households by covering some of the cost of mobile service (up to $30).
- Affordable Connectivity Program
Wireless Internet Services
- Monterey County maintains information about discounted and free wireless services on its website.
Monterey Salinas Transit (MST)
- Currently enrolled Hartnell College students are able to ride the MST FREE
- Availalble any day, any time, any route.
- Student must present their valid digital student ID to the driver.
- Student digital CAT card must have a clear picture and state current semester of registration.
- Digital access to MST is only available during Fall and Spring Semesters
- For MST access during the Summer semester please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Resource Referral: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in 170 languages. You can count on 211 for fast, free, confidential help whether you're looking for:
- Dental Care
- Disaster Relief & Recovery
- Housing & Utilities
- Job Training
- Mental Health Services
- Veteran's Assistance
- Guide on how to locate and access courses with affordable or zero cost textbook options.
Hartnell College strives to create an inclusive and welcoming space for all. The College has identified several lactation spaces on campus for students and employees to use while breastfeeding or using a lactation pump on campus. These spaces are generally available Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Main Campus - Building J- Room 117 (J-117) & Building O Room 105 (O-105)
- Alisal Center - Building C- Room 203 (C-203)
- King City Education Center - KC - Room 132
- Soledad Education Center- SC - 115
- Castroville Education Center- CC-117
If you need help making arrangements to use these lactation locations or facilitating a different time or space for you to use on campus, please contact the Title IX Coordinator.
- Resources for students who are parents and need additional support in various areas.
- On Campus support
- Off Campus support
- State Programs: Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC), the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC), and the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC)
Who To Contact
Office of Basic Needs
Phone: (831) 770-7081
Building: Hartnell College Main Campus
Office: Building C, Room 132
411 Central Avenue, Salinas, CA 93901