Scholarship Program Overview
The Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation Scholarship seeks out bright, highly motivated, low-income women attending Cabrillo College, Hartnell College or Monterey Peninsula College with a strong potential for making a difference, including women who are re-entering the work force.
Students apply through their respective community colleges, and the program provides one student from each participating college with up to $20,000 in scholarships over two years. Students must be enrolled in one of the aforementioned community colleges and dedicated to enrolling in and completing their junior and senior years of their college education at a University of California campus.
Award decisions are made by the Board of Directors of the Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation based on the recommendation of the president of the applicant’s community college. If you are eligible and would like to apply, please contact your community colleges’ scholarship and financial aid office.
To be eligible for a scholarship from the Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation, students must be enrolled for at least one full year at Cabrillo College, Hartnell College or Monterey Peninsula College. Recipients must enroll as full-time students at a University of California campus and use all scholarship funds within two years of community college graduation.
Each of the participating community colleges may nominate up to three students who meet the following scholarship criteria:
- a woman with a history of outstanding academic and extracurricular success despite socioeconomic hardship
- an intent to give back to her community, in the United States
- a California resident
- a U.S. citizen or undocumented student who is eligible for UC enrollment through California’s Assembly Bill 540.
- a current student at one of the following community colleges: Cabrillo, Hartnell or Monterey Peninsula College
- a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- eligible for financial aid and not currently in default on a Title IV student loan
- eligible for fall admission to a UC campus as a new junior-level transfer student
- nominated to The Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation Scholarship by the president of the respective community college
- Students applying to other large scholarships are eligible to apply to The Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation Scholarship, but lose eligibility if they are awarded, and accept, another large scholarship. The Foundation maintains this policy in order to ensure that as many students as possible receive scholarships to be able to attend the UC of their choice.
- Students must be admitted to and enrolled at a University of California campus to receive funds. Upon enrollment, the Foundation provides the funds directly to the UC campus each relevant quarter or semester.
To maintain eligibility:
- Students must use all scholarship funds within two years of community college graduation and must maintain full-time enrollment and good academic standing, a minimum 2.0 term GPA.
- Quarter/Semester Update of student progress must be sent to the Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation at the end of each academic term.
Women interested in applying, please visit:
Should you have any questions regarding this scholarship opportunity, please call the Hartnell Scholarships Office at (831) 755-6811, or email Ana Valles, Scholarship Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hartnell Campus deadline has been EXTENDED to Monday, March 8, 2021. Applications may be submitted by mail or emailed as an attachment to the scholarship assistant at the above email address.