Guide for Students in Social Sciences
This page is for students pursuing or exploring an academic program within the Social Sciences Meta-Major.
Choices you make during your time at Hartnell student will help you complete your degree or certificate in order to immediately begin your career or transfer to complete a bachelor's degree at a four-year university.
Steps on Your Journey
Career & Transfer Exploration
- Take career interest assessments.
- Attend career fairs.
- Attend career navigation workshops.
- Seek out informational career-path interviews.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile.
- Seek out an internship.
- Look for volunteer opportunities.
- Consider job shadowing.
- Ask your instructor about research opportunities on and off campus.
- Attend and/or present at professional conferences.
- Join a community group or organization.
- Join a Social Sciences-related student club or organization.
- Seek a leadership role in your club or organization.
- Participate in the Associated Students of Hartnell College (ASHC).
NEARING COMPLETION -- TRANSFER
- Apply for scholarships.
- Find out university application deadlines.
- Contact instructors for letters of recommendation.
- File a petition to graduate.
- Send transcripts and log into university portals.
- Accept university admissions and award letters.
NEARING COMPLETION -- CAREER
- Participate in career-readiness workshops (resumes, cover letters, mock interviews).
- Create a career/project portfolio of your student work.
- Apply for internships.