For a complete review of the Prerequisites and Corequisites policy and administrative procedures, please see Board Policy 4260
Prerequisite requirements must be met in order to register for classes with a prerequisite. A prerequisite is defined to mean “a condition of enrollment that a student must meet in order to register in a course or program.” (CCR T.5 55200) A student may challenge any prerequisite. It is the student’s responsibility to be certain that he/she has met the necessary prerequisite(s) for any course taken. The student will be dropped from any class where it is verified that the necessary prerequisite has not been taken and passed. Prerequisites will be validated after final grades have been posted.
Request for Placement Prerequisite Clearance
If you have met the prerequisite:
- at another college
- at high school,
- through Advanced Placement scores
- through CSU EAP, EPT/ELM results
- completed an assessment test at another college
You are eligible for a prerequisite clearance. In order for Hartnell College to consider a prerequisite clearance request, students must see a Hartnell counselor prior to registration. Upon meeting with a counselor, they will make a prerequisite clearance determination based on transcripts from another institution, assessment scores, or results from College Board and/or Educational Testing Services.
Please contact the Counseling Office at (831) 755-6820 to schedule an appointment.
Prerequisite Challenge Process
A student may challenge a prerequisite for the following reasons:
- The College has not made the prerequisite course reasonably available.
- The College has not developed the prerequisite according to its established procedures or has not developed the prerequisite in accord with existing statues.
- The prerequisite is discriminatory or is being applied in a discriminatory fashion.
- The student has documented knowledge and abilities equivalent to those specified in the prerequisite course.
Please review the Prerequisite Challenge Form (pdf) and follow the procedures listed on the back.
Prerequisite: “Prerequisite” means a condition of enrollment that a student must meet in order to register in a course or educational program. (CCR T.5 §55201)
Corequisite: “Corequisite” means a condition of enrollment consisting of a course that a student is required to take simultaneously in order to enroll in another course. (CCR T.5 §55201)
Advisory: “Advisory on recommended preparation” means a condition of enrollment that a student is advised, but not required, to meet before or in conjunction with enrollment in a course or educational program. (CCR T.5 §55201)
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 6pm
Friday: 8am - 1pm